Monday, August 10, 2009

Off-Kilter

Have you ever had something end up just a little bit off in a glaring way? I had that moment when I opened the last box of books my publisher sent me.
I always keep a small stock of books on hand because a lot of people like to buy directly from me. So I regularly receive 30 book shipments from my publisher. When I opened the last box they sent me I immediately realized something was wrong with the cover. It somehow looked different…greener.
I grabbed a copy from the previous shipment and put it next to the new books. Sure enough then new ones had been tinted green, almost as if there was a green neon light somewhere in the distance, casting it’s eerie glow on my angel.
I held it up in front of my family and suggested that my angel has been abducted by aliens. (Hm, I don’t think Only Aliens Are Bulletproof would sound as good.) Then my sister did something I hadn’t thought of yet.
She turned the book over, pointed to the picture of me (which I was never particularly pleased with), and declared, “You look like you’re going to be sick.” Sure enough, I too had been tinted green. I looked positively ill. :P
There really wasn’t anything I could do except hope nobody noticed and if they did try to convince them they were getting a rare edition. (Can’t you just see “Off-Color Edition of Only Angels Are Bulletproof” showing up on eBay one of these days?)
Ah well, I happy to say I just received a new box and my angel has returned a lovely stone complexion and I once again have color in my cheeks…okay, so I’m actually a little pale, but at least I’m not green!

2 comments:

Jules said...

Oh dear. I'm afraid green would make me look positively sick too. Thanks for your comments re book signings. I have a feeling I'll be praying the whole time too. Off now to read the reviews ... How exciting!

Anonymous said...

LOL! That is just the sort of funny thing that happens to me too. I have no idea what was wrong, but I'd hate to turn over and suddenly find my face green. Or at least, greenish.

This is Zoeangel from HSA, by the way. I haven't been on the blog in so long because our computer had a glitch that wouldn't allow blog access. (groan)