Monday, March 15, 2010

Roaring Lions, Cracking Rocks

Most of us have heard the phrase, “A proverb a day keeps the devil away.” That line probably has plenty of truth in it, but there are some days when we need more than just a quick recitation of words in the Proverbs. I had the pleasure recently of reading a book that sought help me do just that.
Roaring Lions, Cracking Rocks, and other gems from Proverbs, by Warren Baldwin, is a collection of discussion on 118 different Proverbs.

Backmatter:
For over two thousand years the book of Proverbs has provided wise counsel and spiritual direction for God’s people. The short, rapid style and the piercing truths of Proverbs penetrate the readers’ heart, challenging them to align their lives with the wisdom they proclaim.
Roaring Lions, Cracking Rocks, and other Gems from Proverbs brings the ancient proverbs into contemporary focus by applying their truths to modern situations. Marriage, parenting, friendship, work, money, and other topics are brought under the scrutiny of this ancient wisdom. Each chapter in Roaring Lions is a short essay on a specific proverb that makes God’s word to you come alive with fresh relevance.

As I read through the book I really felt Roaring Lions can be read in three different ways.
-It could easily be used as a daily devotional. Each essay does give you a thought to ponder for that day by applying it to situations in the world we face.
-It could be used to look into specific topics. The book is divided into eight different sections, centering on issues like marriage, discipline, relationships, and accepting God’s will.
-It could also easily be a nice, long weekend read. I rarely read non-fiction books quickly, but I found myself reading through the sections with the same intent I have with most novels.
I did plan on keeping the book on my nightstand so I could go back and check the topics whenever I wanted to, but both my parents have decided it’s their turn to read it next. :)

Interview with Warren Baldwin: Part One

To start, just give me a little bit of your background.
WB - My dad was in construction and we had a family farm, but at an early age he pushed reading and education on his four kids. He wanted us to know how to work hard, but he also wanted us to be able read and write well.
I attended college to study Bible, then went on to seminary. I am still taking graduate classes in Bible and related subjects thirty years after graduating college.
Cheryl and I married in 1982. We have ministered together with three churches in Florida, Wyoming and Kansas. We have three children ranging from age 17 to 24. Our son is now a youth minister in Wyoming.

Roaring Lions is your first book. Is there any particular reason you chose the Proverbs to start with?
WB - I chose Proverbs because of an intense study I was doing on it for Bible classes, sermons and my radio program. I developed so much material that I wanted to find another outlet for it. A book followed.

How did you decide which proverbs and subjects to cover?
WB - Good question. I would read through Proverbs over and over and these particular proverbs spoke to me. I studied them in commentaries and Hebrew language works to see what they might have meant in their original setting, and how they might apply to life today.

The first two sections of this book are about marriage and family. Do you feel these can still be relevant in the lives of single people or couples without children?
WB - Absolutely! The time to begin preparing for marriage and parenthood is long before actually marrying, or even dating. Having a happy, godly marriage for a goal when we are still single helps motivate us to live the kind of life that will have us ready for when the "right" person comes along.
Sadly, I’ve known some guys who one day wanted to settle down and marry a good woman. But, at the time, they were living for the pursuit of pleasure. When they happened to meet a good woman and wanted to develop a relationship with her, she was not attracted to the lifestyle and rejected any overtures.

Join me on Wednesday for the rest of the interview with Warren. We’ll talk more about Proverbs, writing, and some fun stuff too. :)
In the meantime you can learn more about Warren’s writing through his website: http://www.warrentbaldwin.com/ and his blog: Family Fountain.
He also has an upcoming book signing on April 1st in Ulysses KS and does Proverbs seminars for Churches. Contact him for more information.
Until next time…. ;)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is so interesting! Sounds like a great book! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

There's always lots of nuggets to find in Proverbs. Sounds like an interesting book. :O)

Emily Ann Benedict said...

Warren did a really good job of applying the principles in the Proverbs to everday situations. :)

Warren Baldwin said...

Thank you Emily Ann! You did a nice job and I am honored. I will post the review of your book this week. Warren

Warren Baldwin said...

Emily Ann,
Another writer I follow is Rosslyn Elliot. She is getting her first novel published and has written something about her journey here.

http://inkhornblue.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-publishing-journey-5-if-you-want-to.html

I think you would enjoy her blog. You can tell her I sent you.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Emily Ann -

Kudos to you and Warren on the interview. I second his recommendation of Rosslyn's blog, "Inkhorn Blue."

Blessings,
Susan :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Sounds like a great book! Congrats on your interview!