Friday, April 9, 2010

Living in the Lawnmower Chalet

Have you ever tried living in a lawnmower chalet? Hm, perhaps I should explain before you answer.
Several years ago my family and I dropped in on an open house for a very expensive home. While walking through the living room we noticed an interesting building in the backyard. For all intensive purposes, it appeared to be a shed…a shed with a wide front porch, gingerbread eaves, and a very elaborate light fixture suspended in front. When we asked the realtor about it, she said, in all seriousness, “Oh, that? That’s the Lawnmower Chalet.” I’m afraid we broke out laughing.
It has become a very big joke in the family. Every time my dad starts talking about retiring I just say, “Don’t worry, you can always live in my Lawnmower Chalet.”
Funny as it is, the whole idea took on a different meaning for me this week when I was thinking about trying to do things that make my natural self say, “Oh, that is way too hard. Almost nobody succeeds. Why are you even trying?”
I realized if I succumbed to those thoughts I’d end up being a lot like someone who lived in a shed their whole lives, wishing I could live in the real house, but assuming it’s too hard to get there. It would be so easy to just dress up the shed, give it a fancy sounding name, and pretend that I’m just fine living there. But it wouldn’t be fine, would it?
So, are you living in a Lawnmower Chalet? Is there are “real house” out there you’d like to live in, but you’ve assumed it’s impossible to get there? Are you adding gingerbread eaves to your shed?
Personally, I’ve decided to stop decorating my shed and start moving out. How about you?

21 comments:

Rita Garcia said...

Great message, it is easy to become comfortable where we are, and not reach for the pinnacle.
Much thinking to do. Thank you for sharing this awesome story. Hugs, Rita

Brianna said...

What an interesting thought, Emily! Great post!
Yes, we must always be moving onward towards our goals! We shouldn't sit still for too long! ;-)

Emily Ann Benedict said...

Thanks guys. Glad you enjoyed the post. I always figure if we don't keep on the move we'll miss out on a lot. :)

Lydia Kang said...

Great post. Can't let the fear of failure keep you from enjoying the fact that's your in the game, period.

Anonymous said...

My goal is to live in the "Lawnmower Chalet."

Let me explain. Our culture is saturated in debt. People do not know how to manage their money. When I buy a house, I plan to rent it out and live in a shed out back. Others can have their dreams. Mine is to be free and not beholden to anyone if it can be avoided.

Emily Ann Benedict said...

Agreed, Lydia! :)

Okay "Daga" you TOTALLY missed the point. This post isn't about money or owning more. :P It's about not settling because you're afraid to step out do the hard stuff it takes to really have a fulfilled life.

Andrea said...

Great post! Reaching for all GOD has for me,
andrea

Diane said...

I think Lawnmower chalet has a charming ring at first, but then you're 50 and wonder why did I stay here so long and am I too old to get out of here now. Good point to think on. :O)

www.dianeestrella.com

Your Favorite Neighbour said...

Mine's decordated with frosting and chocolate chips :halo: j/k :P
Interesting thoughts though. I've thought about that quite a bit lately. People don't *try* to do something because they perceive it to be "impossible" or even just difficult. As I tell my bros (when they say they "can't" do something), it's possible to dig a tunnel with a teaspoon. It's not easy, but it is possible ;)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Awesome post, Emily - I love it! And what a great Friday message! Thanks. :-)

alicia said...

Great post! I think its easy to tell ourselves that we would be perfectly happy in the lawnmower chalet, but sometimes we do need to stretch and grow. Its the fear of failure I believe that stops us from reaching.
Have a great weekend!

Jill Kemerer said...

Great thoughts. It's too easy to move into a shed, isn't it? I'm moving into the "important person" chalet, stat!

Deborah Ann said...

Loved this post! I see you're in CA. I'm jealous! We just came back from vacation there. I'm begging my husband to relocate somewhere warm and sunny with me. Shoot, I might just have to go without him!

Emily Ann Benedict said...

Thanks everyone! Good luck on your journey towards the "house." It may be hard at times, but it's worth it!

Cindy said...

I confess I like my comfort zone even if it means settling for less than I deserve or could aspire to. This post motivates me to not settle.

Thanks for visiting my blog so I could find yours. I look forward to more inspiration!

CMOM Productions said...

You hit me with this one! It's so easy to say "why do I bother," but when you have dreams and desires it's more important to ask "why not?" Thanks for the wonderful message. :)

Karen Lange said...

Interesting post! Never fail to come away from your blog with food for thought:) BTW, have a surprise for you over at my blog today:
karenelange.blogspot.com
Have a blessed week,
Karen

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Emily Ann -

As writers, it's easy to settle for a few sales (non-fiction)and not move on to the next level. Even as a fiction writer, it's tempting to write without forward momentum.

Thanks for a great analogy to get us into gear.

Blessings,
Susan :)

P.S. I added you to my blogroll.

Emily Ann Benedict said...

Honestly, my friends, a lot of times I really need to take my own advice too. So, on with it!! ;)

Bernadine said...

Love, this post Emily. I'll join you in packing up and moving out:)

Warren Baldwin said...

What a great story and application. Don't we all live in the shed sometimes? Time to move out.